OSHA Guide – Cranes and Derricks in Construction

NIOSH Health Hazard Evaluation Program

Getting Help with Health Hazards

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is a federal agency that conducts scientific and medical research on workers’ safety and health. At no cost to employers or workers, NIOSH can help identify health hazards and recommend ways to reduce or eliminate those hazards in the workplace through its Health Hazard Evaluation (HHE) Program.

Workers, union representatives and employers can request a NIOSH HHE. An HHE is often requested when there is a higher than expected rate of a disease or injury in a group of workers. These situations may be the result of an unknown cause, a new hazard, or a mixture of sources. To request a NIOSH Health Hazard Evaluation go to the OSHA webpage. To find out more about the Health Hazard Evaluation Program:

  • Call (513) 841-4382, or to talk to a staff member in Spanish, call (513) 841-4439; or
  • Send an email to HHERequestHelp@cdc.gov.