Guide to Wire Rope
- Structural Wire Rope Applications
- Computer-Assisted Design and Detailing
- High Strength Structural Strand
- Custom Finishes
- Measuring Wire Rope
- Corrosion Protection
- End Terminations
- Attaching Sockets
- Proof loading
- Order Speciﬁcations
- Wire Rope Selection
- Rotation-Resistant Ropes
- Specialized Wire Rope
- Wire Rope Handling and Installation
- Standard Operating Practices
- Wire Rope Inspection
- Technical Info & Specifications
High Strength Structural Strand
Bethlehem Structural Strand (SS-265™) is a high strength structural strand designed speciﬁcally for use in tower applications. Compared with standard structural strand, SS-265 offers an increase in minimum breaking force of 15% above the values for strand manufactured to specification ASTM-A586. Using SS-265 also offers these advantages:
- Reduced Structural Strand Diameter—Now that designers can utilize a smaller diameter strand for the guying system, SS-265 offers a lower cost per foot, allowing the user to cut valuable dollars from the cost of a project.
- Smaller Fittings—Many ﬁttings manufactured for standard strand may be used with the SS-265, thereby offering a lower cost per unit and adding further cost reductions.
- Decreased Total Weight—Because of SS-265’s reduced strand diameter, the total weight of the guys also is reduced.
For users who opt to use SS-265 without downsizing the diameter of the strand, other benefits apply. For example, using a 2-inch diameter as an example, the minimum breaking force increases from 245 tons to SS-265’s 282 tons. The higher strength results in an increased factor of the guying system. SS-265 also may be used in other applications where structural strand manufactured to ASTM-A586 is utilized.